April 11, 2009

Ozzy

Plan B began when I met Nancy Hutchinson of Spinning Wheels Alpacas (http://www.spinningwheelalpacas.com/) who has the kind of relationship with her alpacas that I dreamed of having. Nancy also has Ozzy, and Ozzy (above photo) is a therapy alpaca. When I learned what could be done with these wonderful animals, I decided to search for one that had the right history and personality and that I could train to be a visiting alpaca to schools, nursing homes, etc. In February I got an email from Nancy saying that she and her husband, Garth had rescued about a dozen alpacas from neglect and there was a little girl who had a very placid, calm demeanor. She was only 4 months old and the only baby in the herd. When Nancy said the little one needed a name, I suggested "Serena".
Did I want my own alpaca? Yes. Could I afford one? Well - maybe. Alpacas can be very expensive, but Nancy explained that since Serena wasn't registered and couldn't be bred I could have her for a price I could afford.
The next step was finding a place to board Serena. It had to be close to my home, as I wanted to be able to spend a lot of time bonding and training (and visiting and playing and hanging). Nancy again came to the resuce. She told me about a new alpaca farm that was only 30 minutes away from me and said she would contact them to see if they would meet me. The plan was coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment