March 23, 2009

The Beginning

Records show that the first innocent enquiry went out in October 2008. "Could I make an appointment to visit you and your alpacas?"
If you asked a hundred different alpaca farmers this question, they would all say the same thing. "Sure, we'll be around all day Saturday. Do you know how to get here?" Alpaca farmers are generous, tolerant people.
So they helped the obsession begin.
Many people (family, colleagues, strangers) have asked why. I don't have an answer. I just know that I saw my first alpaca farm on November 1st and have spent the last 5 months visiting alpacas, researching alpacas, working with alpacas, learning how to halter and lead alpacas, coveting alpacas - and buying an alpaca.
This was rather a shock to my husband. Not a surprise, but a shock. And he will deny it, but he is the original enabler - which means he bought her for me.
This is the story of Serena, the Unflappable Alpaca - who was born in October 2008.

2 comments: